Ryan Lochte can’t swim out of trouble just yet.
U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun said Sunday further action is coming in the matter of the 12-time swimming medalist and his three swimmer-bro buddies whose bogus story of a robbery at gunpoint has dominated the Rio de Janeiro Games.
“They let down our athletes,” Blackmun said without sharing details about what discipline could be coming. “They let down Americans.”
Footage from a gas station in Rio de Janeiro shows the swimmers going in and out of the toilet area, then getting into the wrong cab before getting into another yellow cab.
(Splash News/Splash News)
Blackmun added that Lochte’s story also harmed Brazil because the storyline stole attention from the Rio Games themselves.
Lochte, 32, landed in hot water last week after telling a fantastic tale in which he and his fellow swimmers were pulled over in Rio by armed robbers posing as police. One of the bandits supposedly put a gun to Lochte’s head.
From top left, James Feigen, Ryan Lochte, Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger may still be facing a punishment for their tall tale about a Rio robbery.
But that story soon fell apart, as it emerged that Lochte and his fellow swimmers, Jimmy Feigen, 26; Jack Conger, 21; and Gunnar Bentz, 20, had trashed a gas station and then paid for the damage following a confrontation with security guards.
“I’m taking full responsibility for it because I over-exaggerated that story,” Lochte told NBC’s Matt Lauer on Saturday. “If I had never done that, we wouldn’t be in this mess. None of this would have happened. It was my immature behavior.”
In a separate interview with Brazilian television, Lochte admitted he was still “highly intoxicated” when he told the tall tale.
With News Wire Services